BISA develops & disseminates thousands of elite germplasm to its national partners
- Over ten years of active wheat breeding, more than 20,000 new elite genotypes were introduced from CIMMYT, Mexico through BISA for large plot multilocation trials.
- Several thousands of seed packets are also distributed each year to national partners and collaborators for testing and using the promising inputs in breeding programs.
- Modern tools and technologies such as Phenocart with digital cameras and UAVs with remote sensing and an Android-based Field Book data collection app are being used to evaluate various traits and crop growth parameters.
- Wheat germplasm from CIMMYT is tested and evaluated in replicated trials every year. Testing takes place for disease resistance,abiotic stresses and yield trials using a precision phenotyping approach at BISA research centres at Ludhiana, Jabalpur, and Samastipur.
- BISA has also facilitated the production, certification, processing, storage, and marketing of breeder, foundation, certified, and truthful-labeled seeds of new genotypes of different crops.
- The Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, has recognized BISA as the leader of genomic selection in wheat in India.